Summer is upon us and the first cyanobacteria (aka blue-green algae) alerts are popping up around the Northeast. Here in Vermont, the summer Cyanobacteria monitoring program will be in full swing beginning June 19. The DEC continues to work with the Department of Health and the Lake Champlain Committee to provide updates to the public on a regular basis. Though many of our monitors are active on Lake Champlain, this year we will have reports from many inland lakes as well.
The links below will help you learn about cyanobacteria, recreational conditions around VT and where you can report a bloom.
Report a bloom directly to VT Department of Health:
- Call: 800-439-8550
- M-F, 7:45 – 4:30pm
- Email after hours, weekends and holidays: BloomAlert@vermont.gov
- Please provide photos if you can.
- We identify 3 categories of cyanobacteria conditions. The following links will provide more detail.
- Generally safe – few if any cyanobacteria present, https://apps.health.vermont.gov/VTTracking/BlueGreenAlgae/QuantitativeGenerallySafe.htm
- Low Alert – small amounts of cyanobacteria present, open for recreation using caution around cyanobacteria https://apps.health.vermont.gov/VTTracking/BlueGreenAlgae/VisualLowAlert.htm
- High Alert – large amounts of cyanobacteria present, not safe for recreation https://apps.health.vermont.gov/VTTracking/BlueGreenAlgae/VisualHighAlert.htm
General Cyanobacteria information
- VT DEC: http://dec.vermont.gov/watershed/lakes-ponds/learn-more/cyanobacteria
- VT Dept of Health: http://www.healthvermont.gov/health-environment/recreational-water/cyanobacteria-blue-green-algae
- General facts – http://www.healthvermont.gov/sites/default/files/documents/2016/12/ENV_RW_Cyanobacteria.pdf
- Veterinarian factsheet – http://www.healthvermont.gov/sites/default/files/documents/2016/12/ENV_RW_CyanobacteriaVeterinarians.pdf
Vermont CyanoTracker webpage – http://www.healthvermont.gov/tracking/cyanobacteria-tracker . The map is mobile-friendly and updated whenever we have confirmed new information.
VT Dept. of Health Video on cyanobacteria – https://youtu.be/ea0EHw5suDs
Photos of what is and is not a cyanobacteria bloom – http://www.healthvermont.gov/media/av-library/image/blue-green-algae-cyanobacteria and http://www.healthvermont.gov/media/av-library/image/not-blue-green-algae-cyanobacteria